Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was tested for this and I have it!!!!!!!!!!
No wonder I haven't been feeling well for the past week! Mommy took me in to be tested for this yucky parasite...
You might be asking - what is this???
The number of cryptosporidiosis cases reported to the Central District Health Department continues to rise. As of Thursday September 6, 2007 the district had 76 confirmed cases. (I'm number 77!) Most cases have been reported in the last 30 days. This number far exceeds the record of 16 cases reported in a single year. All confirmed cases have been from Ada County and have a history of exposure to public recreational water features, large community swimming pools, lakes, rivers and canals. The increase in cryptosporidiosis cases is leading public health officials to alert medical providers, pool operators, child care providers, schools and the public about the outbreak and remind them of measures they can take to reduce the spread of the disease.
Cryptosporidiosis, commonly known as "crypto," is a diarrheal disease caused by tiny parasites. It is usually spread by accidentally swallowing water that has been contaminated with human stool or animal waste. The most frequent symptom is watery diarrhea with abdominal cramping, which can be accompanied by dehydration, weight loss, abdominal pain, fever, nausea, and vomiting. (I've had all of these - off and on for the past 8 days!) If people have been in recreational waters and are experiencing persistent, watery diarrhea, they are urged to consult their healthcare provider.
Once a person is infected, the parasites live in the intestines and are passed in the stool. There is effective medical treatment, consult your healthcare provider for more information. (I'm being treated now - actually, beginning tomorrow!) Infected persons can continue to spread the disease for several weeks after diarrhea subsides, so they should avoid activities involving recreational waters for at least two weeks after diarrhea subsides. (No swimming :-( !! Too bad.)
There were two kids in my school who got this and after mommy heard about this she began reading about the illness. Then she thought about how I've been feeling this past week and started think maybe I was sick too! Yup! She was right. My Doctor is going to fix me right up, however! She's the best!!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment